External Vocal and Instrumental Music Examinations
Congratulations to the following students who have managed to fit in a considerable amount of personal practice to achieve some excellent results:
- Piano: Claudia Hawkins received an A, Honours, for AMEB Grade 2 Piano for Leisure.
- Flute: Two students achievements: Gabrielle Hutchison was awarded an A, Honours, for AMEB Grade 3 Flute, Emily Welch was awarded an A, Honours, for Grade 5 Flute.
- Violin and Viola: Maddie Martin 12D was awarded a B+, Credit, for AMEB Grade 8 Violin, Scarlett Blasl 9C was awarded a B, Credit, for AMEB Grade 3 Viola, and Stephanie Archie 10D was awarded a B, Credit, for AMEB Grade 3 Violin.
- Guitar: Bella Leung-Dias 11B was awarded an A, Honours, for AMEB Grade 2 Guitar.
- Voice: Isabelle Deegan 11A was awarded an A, Honours, for AMEB Grade 3 Singing (Classical Repertoire)
State Honours Ensemble Program and Australian Honours Ensemble Program
Despite many combined schools events being cancelled this year, nine excited MSM music students were able to participate in the annual State Honours Ensemble Program (SHEP): Vocalists Brynna Ducie, Claire Grundy, Holly Stegman-McManus, Alexandra Harrold, Olivia Magee, Isabelle Schmidt and instrumentalists Riley Ducie, Isobel Jones and Maddie Martin. Emily Malczewski, soprano, was so skilled that her video audition allowed her to make it into the Australian Honours Ensemble Program (AHEP).
Usually held at the Conservatorium, this year the rehearsals and events were at various large venues around Brisbane - with appropriate social distancing. I am sure the students still managed to make new friends, and learn and perform some advanced repertoire of types they are not usually able to access such as SATB choir which includes the low male voices of the tenor and bass sections, and the large full orchestra, with a full brass section. The last four days of the September holidays were well spent in this advanced music making.